December 19, Norwood Fire Chief explained that a restricted vent allows the dryer to build up heat and caught fire. The Fire Chief also said they were able to contain the fire to the back of the house.
Homeowner Brian Levi said he fell asleep after starting some laundry and the dryer caught fire. "If it wasn't for the smoke detector I would've probably still be laying there sleeping and then got overcome by smoke. It was a lifesaver for me," said Levi.
“The lint trap only captures approximately 75 percent of the lint with the remaining 25 percent going out the vent. If there are bends or restrictions, the lint can accumulate. Routine cleaning of the vent between the dryer and the outside vent will reduce the risk of fire.”
The best way to prevent the possibility of a dryer fire harming your family is an annual dryer vent inspection and cleaning by the professionals at The Lint King Dryer Vent Cleaning Experts.
Servicing Northern Illinois. I-80 North and Rt-23 East.
A clogged dryer vent is caused by the build-up of lint and other debris in the airways. There’re many reasons why a clothes dryer's vent becomes clogged.
Laundry rooms can be located almost anywhere creating very long runs that have several bends ducts. This scenario means dryer vents creates greater back pressure and the dryer’s energy efficiency is degraded!
Longer ducks will cause lint to collect more quickly than a system with shorter runs and minimal turns. The maximum suggested length for a dryer vent is 25 feet. But, because of the turns we need to subtract 5 feet for 90 degree turns. 45 degree vent turn are preferred because they subtract only 2.5 feet of the max length.