The Lint King’s Reasons to Ditch Toxic Dryer Sheets
According to the author of 7 Toxic Reasons to Ditch Dryer Sheets, here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system.
What is a dryer sheet made of?
Exposure may cause dizziness, drowsiness and confusion, red eyes and dry skin. Inhalation of its vapors is known to cause a burning sensation in the airways and cause a sore throat and labored breathing…
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. Can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapours causes central nervous system depression.