The Lint King’s Reasons to Ditch Toxic Dryer Sheets
Dryer Sheets and the 7 Toxic Reasons To Ditch Them!
Here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system, and why you should be concerned.
What’s inside A Dryer Sheets?
These chemicals may cause dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, red eyes, and dry skin when exposed to it from your clothing. And in our pets from their bedding, can these symptoms be observed. Inhalation of its vapors is known to cause a burning sensation in the airways and cause a sore throat and labored breathing.
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. It can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headache.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, central nervous system depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant, causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. May cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
Do Clothes Dryer Sheets Damage A Dryer?
Clothes Dryer Sheet Alternatives
How to Soften Clothes
- Eco-Friendly Liquid Softener
Formulated with essential oils, plant-derived and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients for products that are powerful against dirt and grime while being a pleasure to use. Learn more about Mr’s Meyers Laundry Products.
- Wool Dryer Balls
How to Make Homemade Felted Wool Dryer Balls. Dryer balls help to soften clothes naturally and they are made from a renewable resource. Learn the benefits of Using Wool Dryer Balls.
- Reusable Chemical-Free Dryer Sheets
llerTech® patented dryer sheet system safely solves the static problem and reduces wrinkles without any added chemicals.
- White Distilled Vinegar
Add ½ Cup of White Distilled Vinegar to the Final Rinse Water Cycle.
- Aluminum Foil
Can Aluminum Foil Keep Clothes Static Free?
It’s true, a small aluminum ball of foil removes static. And it never has to be replaced! The aluminum foil balls should be approximately two-to-three inches in diameter and tightly rolled. Be sure to round out any protruding edges that could catch a tread. One ball should do it smaller loads — as many as three aluminum balls for more substantial items like blankets.
Read the full article from LifeHacker.