The Lint King’s Reasons to Ditch Toxic Dryer Sheets
Dryer Sheets and the 7 Toxic Reasons To Ditch Them!
Here are the seven most common chemicals found in dryer sheets and their effect on the central nervous system, and why you should be concerned.
What’s inside A Dryer Sheet?
Dryer sheets are relatively simple products. Dryer Sheets are a polyester sheet covered in a fabric softener chemical cocktail.
And, yes, fragrance chemicals are also used in dryer sheets and can significant, representing up to 10 percent of the contents of the product.
These chemicals may cause dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, red eyes, and dry skin when exposed to them from your clothing. And in our pets from their bedding, can these symptoms be observed? Inhalation of its vapors is known to cause a burning sensation in the airways and cause a sore throat and labored breathing.
1. Alpha-Terpineol causes central nervous system disorders. It can also cause loss of muscular coordination, central nervous system depression, and headaches.
2. Benzyl Alcohol causes central nervous system disorders, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, depression, and, in severe cases, death.
3. Camphor on the US EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Central nervous system stimulant causes dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles, and convulsions.
4. Chloroform is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Neurotoxic and carcinogenic.
5. Ethyl Acetate on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. Narcotic. It may cause headaches and narcosis (stupor).
6. Linalool causes central nervous system disorders. Narcotic. In studies of animals, it caused ataxic gait (loss of muscular coordination), reduced spontaneous motor activity, and depression.
7. Pentane causes headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors causes central nervous system depression.
Do Clothes Dryer Sheets Damage A Dryer?
Your dryer’s sensors and the operating efficiency will be affected by the use of fabric softener dryer sheets. Then your appliances computer will not work correctly due to wrong input from the sensors.
The screen below is 80% clogged. This increases the cost to run a load of clothes by 80%. That’s an additional $0.68 for a total of $0.89 for one-load of clothes!
See How Clothes Dryer Sheet’s effect on a Lint Screen.
Visit The Lint King Dryer Vent Cleaning Website to learn more.
Clothes Dryer Sheet Alternatives
How to Soften Clothes
- Eco-Friendly Liquid Softener Formulated with essential oils, plant-derived, and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients for products that are powerful against dirt and grime while being a pleasure to use. Learn more about Mr’s Meyers Laundry Products.
- Wool Dryer Balls How to Make Homemade Felted Wool Dryer Balls. Dryer balls help to soften clothes naturally, and they are made from a renewable resource. Learn the benefits of Using Wool Dryer Balls.
- Reusable Chemical-Free Dryer Sheets llerTech® patented dryer sheet system safely solves the static problem and reduces wrinkles without any added chemicals.
- White Distilled Vinegar Add ½ Cup of White Distilled Vinegar to the Final Rinse Water Cycle.
- Aluminum Foil Can Aluminum Foil Keep Clothes Static Free? It’s true. A small aluminum ball of foil removes static. And it never has to be replaced! The aluminum foil balls should be approximately two-to-three inches in diameter and tightly rolled. Be sure to round out any protruding edges that could catch a tread. One ball should do it in
smaller loads — as many as three aluminum balls for more substantial items like blankets.
Read the full article from LifeHacker.